Straw Bale Garden Club
- About Joel
- Contact Join our Club
- How to build a straw bale garden surface trellis
- How to build the perfect compost bin
- How to make your straw bale garden greenhouse
- Installing a trellis system
- Is straw bale gardening "gluten-free"?
- Make a map of your straw bale garden
- Planning your straw bale garden
- Site selection and preparation
- Are ants harmful to my vegetables?
- How can I get rid of or prevent ants?
- What can I do about the ants invading my bales?
- Day 1 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 2 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 3 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 4 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 5 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 6 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 7 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 8 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 9 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 10 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 11 of conditioning your straw bales
- Day 12 of conditioning your straw bales
- Organic sources of nitrogen that work best?
- Should I be concerned about flies?
- What to use?
- When to start?
- Why does some fertilizer sit on top, is this normal?
- Why do the organic bales smell bad for a while?
- Bale temperature - when is it safe to plant?
- Can I plant in extra large straw bales?
- How can I speed up the conditioning?
- What if my bales are too hot?
- What if my bales don't get hot inside?
- How far apart do I set up my bales?
- How many bales should I plant?
- How can anyone afford to buy bales they are so expensive?
- How can I save money using bales?
- How to make your own bales with a BaleMaker 3000
- What can I do with last years half decomposed and falling over bales?
- What can I use to make my own bales?
- What is a balemaker3000?
- How to fix your tipping bales
- Helping out your Beans and Peas with stick teepees
- How many cabbage in a bale?
- Why does cabbage grow so well in bales?
- Can I grow corn in my straw bale garden?
- Why is corn not recommended in a Straw Bale Garden?
- How can I keep deer away?
- How can I keep rabbits away?
- How can I prevent neighborhood livestock from getting into my garden?
- How to keep deer away from your garden
- What about raccoons will they get into the bales?
- Will rabbit jump up on the bales?
- End of season bale comparison - Homemade vs Straw
- Garden cleanup in Joel's backyard
- What will my Straw Bale Garden look like at the end of the season?
- Fertilizing your straw bale garden plants
- How to use an in-line, automatic fertilizing system
- How to use flowers as indicator plants for watering your straw bale garden
- Setting up a straw bale FLOWER garden
- A Gardening Medley from Kearney, New Jersey
- Garden interview with Danielle and Finn from Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
- Garden visit with Diane and Melissa in Mounds View, Minnesota
- Garden visit with Eric in Northfield, Minnesota
- Garden visit with Sandy in Excelsior, Minnesota
- Garden visit with Steve at the Nativity Child Family Center in Saint Anthony, Minnesota
- Interview with Paul Sorenson in Blaine, Minnesota
- St Croix Montessori school garden Week 3 update
- Update from Joel's garden in Roseville, Minnesota August 17 2015
- Update from Paul's garden in Blaine, Minnesota Week 4
- Harvesting tips - Cucumbers, Heirloom Tomatoes, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Summer Squash, Monster Zucchini
- How to grow and harvest Kale
- How to harvest your Lettuce crop twice!
- Pruning young plants
- Thinning Your Seedlings with Scissors
- Traditional garden troubles: shade & roots & weeds!
- Advantages and disadvantages of using hay instead of straw?
- Can I use a hay bale instead?
- Don't let your Cilantro bolt!
- Growing GREAT Basil!
- Harvesting Basil mid-season
- Battling the bugs in your garden
- How to fight the cabbage worms in your garden
- How to Use Eggshells to Prevent Damage from Slugs
- Can I store bales over winter?
- Doesn't straw attract rodents?
- Should I cover bales over winter?
- What if I have gophers or moles already in my garden area?
- Are mushrooms harmful to my plants?
- Are the mushrooms edible?
- Are the spores that are given off by the mushrooms harmful?
- Can I grow mushrooms on the bales as a crop?
- Do I need to be concerned about the mold
- Do I need to remove the mushrooms from the bales?
- How long do the mushrooms last?
- What to do about mushrooms growing on my bales?
- How many in a bale?
- What about blossom end rot in peppers if I plant in bales?
- What are the main concerns with growing peppers in bales?
- Can I plant with fertilizer crust on my straw bales?
- Do I need to make a seedbed or just push seeds into the straw?
- Do I use potting mix around transplants?
- How deep do I plant transplants into the bales?
- How do I plant transplants?
- How far apart should I plant seeds?
- How many plants can fit into a bale?
- How should I plant seeds?
- How to plant onions in your straw bale garden
- Planting in your straw bale garden
- The EASY way to use a shovel in your straw bale garden
- How to grow potatoes in your straw bale garden
- Can I set up bales in my parking lot?
- Can I set up bales on concrete?
- Can i set up my bales on my lawn?
- Do I have to have the wire trellis above the bales?
- Garden markers and journals
- How far apart should I put rows of bales??
- How should I orient the bales?
- How to beautify your bales
- Setting up your straw bale garden from scratch
- What if I cannot pound in the posts for a trellis, how can I still make a trellis?
- What can I do about the sprouts coming out of my bales?
- Will hay bales sprout weeds?
- How many tomato plants can I put in a bale?
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- Tomato Talk - Episode 1
- What about blossom end rot in tomatoes planted in straw bales?
- Why are my tomato plants getting flowers but they are dropping off?
- Will I avoid the blight if I plant in bales?
- Installing an Irrigation System
- Adding emitters for specific plants in your SBG
- Can the bales be too wet?
- How long should I water my bales?
- How often should I water my Straw Bale Garden?
- Should I have one or two soaker hoses on each bale?
BALES - CONDITIONING
BALES - HEAT
BALES - HOW MANY DO I NEED?
BALES - MAKE YOUR OWN
BALES - TIPPING
BEANS AND PEAS
CABBAGE / CUCURBITS
DEER / RABBITS / INVADERS
END OF SEASON
GROWING AND HARVESTING
HAY or OTHER
INSECTS AND WORMS
MICE or OTHER RODENTS
Members please login for special, weekly discounts on apparel items up to 25% from the prices shown here at the Straw Bale Gardens store!
You can get these and other embroidered apparel at the Straw Bale Gardens store. Head over now and pick up one of these specials!
Members please login to get a 20% discount on Straw Bale Gardens Complete!
"Are you ready to learn about a transformative garden technology that could change your life - for less than $100?" - New York Times
"Take your straw bale gardening to the next level - in more places, with new products, and even, sometimes, skipping the straw!"
The reception and enthusiasm for straw bale gardening, introduced in 2013, has proved revolutionary in vegetable growing. Why? Because the bold promises in the book are kept: grow vegetables anywhere, earlier in the year, with no weeding. Gardeners everywhere are excited. Straw bale gardening works! In just the short amount of time that has passed, the gardening world and Joel Karsten himself have learned even more about how to apply this method in just about any environment: on a city balcony, in a rocky outpost, in a desert, and even in the tundra of Alaska.
Straw Bale Gardens Complete contains all of the original information that has set the gardening world on fire. But it also goes much deeper, with nearly 50 pages of all-new advice and photos on subjects such as growing in a tight urban setting, making your straw bale garden completely organic, and using new fertilizers and conditioning products. There is even information on using straw bale techniques to grow veggies in other organic media for anyone who has a hard time finding straw.
Fans of Straw Bale Gardens will not want to miss adding Straw Bale Gardens Complete to their gardening library. There is, literally, nothing else like it!
From the Back Cover
Straw Bales: Nature's Perfect Planting Container
Straw Bale Gardens . . .
- Get High Yields
- Never Need Weeding
- Do Not Require Soil
- Extend Growing Season by Weeks
- Can Be Conventional or 100% Organic: Your Choice
- Can Go Anywhere: Even Balconies and Driveways
Welcome New Members!
Redbank Plains, QLD
Elk River, MN
nancy ellen, b
Ketchum, OK, OK
Mount Juliet, TN
FT. DEFIANCE, VA
John W, H
FOREST GROVE, OR
Mary Rose, R
Brooklyn Park, MN
Far Hills, NJ
Ann Laurie, F
Mary Kay, L
EATON RAPIDS, MI
Saint Paul, MN
Brooklyn Center, MN
Vestavia Hills, AL
Bonner Springs, KS
Colorado Springs, CO
Robert McBroom, J
North Hills, CA
Patricia J, S
Christiane K, P
Platte City, MO
Falls Church, VA
Santa Rosa, CA
MYRON j, H
Stone Mountain, GA
Saint Peters, MO
Gwinnett Technical, C
san antonio, TX
Bruce & Diane, M
Spokane Valley, WA
Greenwich NJ, NJ